Subject: Re: reboot hangs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2000 17:06:07
Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> > > The hangs at shutdown I am currently seeing (I think it used to
> > > be something different) are caused by cache_purgevfs() spinning
> > > over and over again.
> >
> > Do you have softdep ?
>
> Where I don't use softdep. The problem appeared before softdep went into
> the tree.
>
> > The problem I have (and I think Bernd's one is the same) is that the
> > kernel fails to unmount the filesystems, but no hangs.
>
> Correct. It says something about syncing the filesystem and prints
> 10-20 numbers and then gives up.

I've seen this off-and-on since 1.4C.  It went away somewhere around
1.4H and reappeared somewhere around 1.4S.  With the debugging enabled
in vfs_subr.c to print out busy vnodes, it's always a vnode on a MFS
that's hung.  It seems to make sense that if the user-land mount_mfs has
already been killed then an MFS couldn't flush any buffers, but I don't
know why the problem comes and goes.  A couple of weeks ago I tried a
simple ignoring of vnodes that were of type VT_MFS but that didn't work
(I've forgotten exactly what happened).

Simon.