Subject: Re: Realtek ethernet driver associates with ukphy
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/2000 09:53:14
On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 12:22:28AM +1000, Stephen Welker wrote:

 > The Realtek driver (rl) associates itself with ukphy under 1.4.2 (i386).
 >
 > The dmesg entry is as follows...
 >
 > ukphy0 at rl0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface.

This PHY will work fine, as the built-in RealTek PHY doesn't provide
any PHY-specific registers, just generic ones.

 > My understanding was that it would associate with rtpphy - had a look around
 > the system and the kernal source but could not find anything obviuos.
 >
 > Is rtpphy not included for a purpose?

`rtpphy' was a PHY attachment I wrote for the RealTek 8139 driver I wrote
independent of the one we have now (which is a hacked version of the FreeBSD
`rl' driver).  I had some obscrure problem with mine that I wasn't ever able
to find, so it was never committed.

All references to `rtpphy' should probably just be deleted.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>