Subject: Re: new sysctl(KERN_PROC, ...) interface (was: sysinfo(2))
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/19/2000 21:08:37
Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> >  3) Need the size of "char **" for same reasons as 2).
> >
> >     Is there an easy way to tell if a process is a 32 or 64 bit process?
>
> No.  But I added a P_32 flag to the proc struct to indicate that a process
> is running under 32-bit emulation.

So for the 32 bit emul case, you'd need to know the possibility that
you might be running under emulation, which isn't really possible (eg,
mips ps today, with mips64 maybe occuring one day).  But if we stored
the kernel's idea of the pointer size and looking at P_32 if the pointer
size is 8 bytes then we should be able to cover all possibilities...

sysctl HW_KERNPTRSIZE ?

Simon.