Subject: RE: new sysctl(KERN_PROC, ...) interface (was: sysinfo(2))
To: 'Eduardo Horvath' <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Andy Sporner <andy.sporner@networkengines.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2000 15:18:45
Hi,

> > I thought the original motivation (and has been my main
> motivation) was fixing ps's "proc size mismatch" errors,

I have been stung by this many times because of the
changes I am making in the kernel for clustering.  I notice
however it tries to fall back to using /proc when the
mismatch occurs.

I was writting to another colleague who is writting part
of the cross-host PID stuff that it would be a good idea
to have a call that allows one to walk the process table.

Dynix/PTX is heavily influenced by BSD and they have such
an extension.

It is a nice abstraction to have for the clustering project
because at some point we will have a single view of all
processes system-wide and such a call would make the implementation
very easy.

Is this change going to be part of the standard release in
the future???

Thanks

Andy Sporner