Subject: Re: new sysctl(KERN_PROC, ...) interface (was: sysinfo(2))
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/16/2000 23:10:22
On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

# Bill Studenmund wrote:
#
# > On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
# >
# > > Recently there was a little talk about limiting the rate of change of
# > > the size of struct kinfo_proc, primarily motivated by ps(1) complaining
# > > about 'proc size mismatches' whenever some kernel structures changed
# > > size.
# >
# > Eww... I've seen the thread as of today, and I don't like where we're
# > going with it. :-) The only time we run into these problems is in
# > -current, which we say will break ps on occasion! :-)
#
# Now that we do many ps's on startup and shutdown with rc.d, having a
# working ps on -current, no matter how up-to-date userland is, is a good
# thing.  Also, in theory it should be possible to use a 1.5 ps on a 1.6
# kernel (untested of course :-) and so on...

am I to understand that the /var/run/*.pid files are not being used anymore?
We should not have to relegate to using ps() all that much with these
files.  I thought that was their whole purpose.

NetBSD is starting to look broken, what with the NFS and shutdown stuff
going on.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  Don't login as root, use the su command.