Subject: native issetugid(2)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/16/2000 16:06:03
Hi.

Citrus Project (*1) is implementing a `locale' framework for
*BSD.  While we were porting it to NetBSD, we noticed that
NetBSD does not have native issetugid(2) system call.  To
support wide variety of locales efficiently, we utilize
dynamic loading of some locale-specific modules, and to
avoid security holes related to this, issetugid(2), first
appeard in OpenBSD and eventually imported to FreeBSD, is
required.

Fortunately, we have issetugid(2) implementation in our
FreeBSD emulation code
(/sys/compat/freebsd/freebsd_misc.c), and I think there is
no reason against moving it to the native call
(/sys/kern/kern_prot.c).  I'd like to commit that change in
a few days if there is no objection.

Comments?

(*1) http://citrus.dsl.gr.jp/index.html

--