Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2000 00:16:58
In <20000410001437.A1421@chuq.chuq.com>
chuq@chuq.com wrote:

> oops, I was misled by the existing occurances of __sun3__ in the same file.
> from what I can tell, the sun3 compiler defines neither sun3 nor __sun3__,
> so the bit in the kernel makefile is the only place that sets anything.
>
> the vast majority of platform-specific ifdefs use the __foo__ style,
> so it seems the best course would be to add -D__sun3__ to the kernel
> makefile as well, with the goal of eventually removing -Dsun3.
> (and similarly for all platforms.)  any objections?

__$MACHINE_ARCH__ is pre-defined by gcc, but __$MACHINE__ is not.

They are identical on sparc but I think __foo__ should be
used to determine MACHINE_ARCH, not MACHINE.
Makefile.sparc should have -Dsparc for MACHINE
like Makefile.alpha and Makefile.i386.

P.S.
On mips, __mips__ is pre-defined so it is not actual MACHINE_ARCH...
Anyway it is for cpu-specific ifdefs.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp