Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/2000 07:39:32
On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 12:14:37AM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:

 > oops, I was misled by the existing occurances of __sun3__ in the same file.
 > from what I can tell, the sun3 compiler defines neither sun3 nor __sun3__,
 > so the bit in the kernel makefile is the only place that sets anything.
 >
 > the vast majority of platform-specific ifdefs use the __foo__ style,
 > so it seems the best course would be to add -D__sun3__ to the kernel
 > makefile as well, with the goal of eventually removing -Dsun3.
 > (and similarly for all platforms.)  any objections?

No, that's perfectly fine.

In the case of many platforms (e.g. sparc, i386, alpha), it just so
happens that $MACHINE == $MACHINE_ARCH, so the compiler generating
a -D__sparc__ or -D__alpha__ or -D__i386__ is automatic.

Actually, now that I think about it, what we really ought to do is have
the kernel Makefiles define -DMACHINE_sun3, -DMACHINE_alpha, etc.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>