Subject: Re: ns_cksum.c - why are they duplicated ?
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/05/2000 21:24:14
On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 12:23:51AM +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > copies be killed ? Probably even the VAX one, the compiler
> > does probably better job in optimizing the code than
> > hand crafted assembly.
> >
> ``No''.
> VAX ns_cksum.c is 3 to 10 times faster than the C one (that can't make use
> of the way some insn's work). Please leave it alone.

I thought that people routinely wrote assembly that was better than
a compiler's code on old processors like the VAX, but that a compiler
is better on a RISC (or similarly complex) architecture?

One of the local Amiga guys over here wrote an entire spreadsheet in
m68k assembler about ten years ago...

"You know, I think I can hear the machine screaming from here...  \
'help me! hellpp meeee!'"  - Heather Flanagan, 14:52:23 Wed Jun 10 1998