Subject: sysctl(2) and/or /kern for system variable manipulation
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/22/2000 11:22:37
Let's entertain the /kern notion for just one more minute; assuming
that each object has its own permissions (which would show up as file
or directory permissions), then there's no problem mounting /kern
itself anywhere you like (indeed, it can be an unprivileged mount -
anyone can do it).

Now, in the case of a chroot(2)'d environment, I hear you say, "Ah
hah! Suppose a clever attacker gains root inside the box, and then
mounts /kern? He can modify various global system operational
parameters!"

Well, yeah. Does sysctl(2) prevent that?

What sysctl variables does one typically need inside the chroot(2) box, anyway?

8th Edition and Plan 9 have some very clever mechanisms for providing
for a standard, but individual execution environment by arranging the
filesystem name space in interesting ways with mount(2). Again, the
idea was simple: make almost everything into a file, and then
manipulate as necessary with existing tools. I think we'd do well to
adopt some of them, and thereby get rid of a raft of specialized
system calls...

	Erik <fair@clock.org>