Subject: Re: sharing userland over $MACHINE_ARCH [was Re: Driver hierarchy]
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/19/2000 17:53:24
In message <200003191943.OAA20763@Twig.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
der Mouse writes:
>MAXPARTITIONS is trivial to work around; there's a sysctl to fetch the
>value.
>
>As I understood it, the biggest problem was libkvm, which is - or at
>least used to be - kernel-specific and hence port-specific.  Has that
>been cured, can (eg) all the 68k ports now use the same libkvm?

I thought the big concern was finding the USR_* addresses, since they
dependend on where the kernel was loaded.  The hack to get those via
adddress arithmetic on __ps_strings has been in libkvm for (squints at
old source tree) what, at least 2 years now?

(I asked Jason about doing the same thing on i386, as a short-term
solution for the the very large KVA support added to the i386 port
recently).

If that's not the big concern, what is?