Subject: Re: How to write a driver for a new PCI device?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/2000 12:03:23
According to Chuck McManis:

>If you can get 3Dfx to tell you what the registers are and how to talk to
>it. I've tried off and on for a couple of years and they stupidly resist.

There is a Linux driver in existence, checkout
<http://linux.3dfx.com/open_source.htm>.  I have seen the code and it
was not pretty, they drove the card one command at a time (one can
only hope it has improved).  I have heard rumours that you should be
able to mmap the card (this came from some words by the id dudes on
driver support for Quake3) which, to me, implies there must be some
sort of DMA mode where you can dump commands into a dma buffer and
have the card suck them in.  I _think_ I sucked down the information
for the cards but I may be just dreaming.