Subject: Re: Performance of RAIDframe and SOFTDEP
To: None <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/2000 10:04:35
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 wrote:

> The performance improvements gained by enabling soft dependencies were
> 	no RAID	1.23x
> 	RAID 0	1.44x
> 	RAID 5	1.36x
> Nice improvements from soft dependencies, but I was expecting better
> performance from RAID 0 (and worried about worse from RAID 5).

You might compare RAID 0 in RAIDFrame to ccd striping. On an admittedly
much faster machine (500 MHz PC164, 2940UW) I get basically twice the
sequential read/write performance from a pair of ccd'd Barracudas than
I get from one.

Curt Sampson  <>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: