Subject: Re: [need review] pax(1) change to fix PR #8868
To: None <>
From: John Kohl <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2000 07:34:47
>>>>> "Todd" == Todd Whitesel <> writes:

Todd> Is there some reason why we cannot enable "SA_RESTART" on the SIGINFO
Todd> signal, so the kernel takes care of this automatically for read() and
Todd> write() ?

If we believe our manual pages are correct, then sigaction(2) shows that
this idea doesn't do what we want:

     Restarting of pending calls is requested by setting the SA_RESTART bit in
     sa_flags.  The affected system calls include open(2), read(2), write(2),
     sendto(2), recvfrom(2), sendmsg(2) and recvmsg(2) on a communications
     channel or a slow device (such as a terminal, but not a regular file) and
     during a wait(2) or ioctl(2).  However, calls that have already committed
     are not restarted, but instead return a partial success (for example, a
     short read count).

==John Kohl <>, <>
Home page: <>
Bicycling and Skiing to keep fit.