Subject: Re: Dumping autoconf info from DDB
To: Noriyuki Soda <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/2000 20:55:22
On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> To allow completely dynamic runtime reconfiguration,
> not only unpacked locators, but also almost all information in files.*
> file are needed for kernel.
> For example, to add new device configuration entry dynamically,
> kernel have to know what is the locators where the devices hangs, and
> default values of the locators, and....
	Unpacked locators is a simple first step that would allow
	reliable tweaking of what we currently have, but I agree a
	more complete solution would be desirable longterm.

> Newconfig project of japanese freebsd people tried to solve this
> problem by extending NetBSD configuration mechanism dynamically.
> (adding new drivers and new buses completely dynamically was also
>  one of their goals.)
	This looks quite interesting - does their overall approach
	seem compatible with NetBSD? If so, would they be interesting
	in coordinating with pulling something like this into the
	main NetBSD tree?