Subject: Re: Dumping autoconf info from DDB
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/08/2000 01:03:10
> (It turns out that, even if everyone *has* source, a lot of people do
> not want to compile a new kernel -- they would rather stuff a set of
> commands into boot.default.)

This just isn't something I can understand; how can anyone be happy
without the known ability to regenerate the binaries in use?  *boggle*

Never mind, it's probably just me.

As for boot.default, the big problem with it, it seems to me, is how
and when it's loaded.  For it to be useful for this it has to be done
before device configuration, and at that point, how can we get at the
device it's stored on?

Or is this a `fake' file that's actually stored somewhere in the kernel
or bootblocks?  It occurs to me that it could work to reserve a piece
of the kernel (or /boot or /ufsboot or whatever) for a ramdisk or
ustarfs or some such, holding something boot.defaultish....

How do systems that already have boot.default do it?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca