Subject: Re: Dumping autoconf info from DDB
To: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/07/2000 03:57:57
>Just FYI (maybe :-) ), BSD/OS handles this by using the packed
>locators only as starting points for the "real" locators passed
>to the driver at autoconfig time.  The real locators are made up
>by overriding the compiled-in ones with the ones from commands
>fed to /boot, either directly at the keyboard, or via /etc/boot.default.
>(Of course, with no override, the compiled-in one passes through.)
>
>(It turns out that, even if everyone *has* source, a lot of people
>do not want to compile a new kernel -- they would rather stuff a
>set of commands into boot.default.)

	I love bsdi boot.default.

	actually boot.default is IMHO a "must have" when trying to boot on
	laptop from floppy - there are too many laptop PCs in the market
	with non-standard IRQ settings, or non-supported hardware.
	Without having someone to bake boot floppy for you, there is no
	way to install and can become obstacle to newcommers (or even for
	experts).

	To list some items I encountered:
	- Sony Vaio505FX (called "505EX" in Japanese market) uses non-stanard
	  irqs, which prevent standard boot floppy from using pcic.
	  http://www.itojun.org/diary/19990422/VAIO.diff
	- Digital HiNote Ultra II has second pcic, which should be manipulated
	  in polling mode.  last time I've tried booting netbsd boot floppy,
	  pcic was probed as if it has no slot and there was no way other than
	  make a special boot floppy.  PR 7908.
	- TP570 and NetBSD-current pciide are not friendly.  PR9039.

itojun