Subject: Re: more disksort fun
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/05/2000 13:08:43
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:03:36 +0100 (MET)
 Juergen Hannken-Illjes <> wrote:

 > > Thoughts?
 > Another field for sorting? Why don't you use b_resid alias b_cylinder as a
 > first key and b_blkno as a second. The first key should be the raw block
 > number. Then use only disksort_cylinder as before.

Well, it doesn't have to be used just for sorting, although that's why
I added it.

Basically, what I did was move all of the partition translation further
up in the individual drivers.  Now places which used to do partition
translation have b_rawblkno to use instead.  So, really, it can be used
as a communication method from the upper half to the lower half.

Okay, maybe I'm stretching that a little... :-)

 > #define b_rawblkno b_resid	????

I don't think that's necessarily correct.  In the disksort_cylinder()
case you want both cylinder and rawblkno (maybe rawblkno in this case
would be sector-relative-to-cylinder ?).

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <>