Subject: Re: Dumping autoconf info from DDB
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/03/2000 16:21:09
<abs@netbsd.org> (David Brownlee) writes:

>         Not packing the locators would waste a little space, but being
> 	able to change the values from within DDB (or some other boot time
> 	tool) is a very valuable feature for those with unfortunate hardware.

It's useful for a bunch of reasons, and I agree that it doesn't take
much space. I implemented a change to config(8) to not pack locators,
but I'm not 100% sure that it had the right effects (some of config's
sanity checks depend on the packing, and I may have blown that away).

> 	What I would like to do would be disable locator packing if
> 	DDB is enabled - this would involve a runtime switch in config,
> 	but should give us the best of both worlds - no overhead in
> 	the non DDB case, and no overlapping locators in the DDB case
> 	(when the overhead is very small compared to DDB)

We should just make sure it works and disable locator packing
altogether.

        - Nathan