Subject: Re: SIOCSIFADDR & co
To: Ted Lemon <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2000 22:20:40
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Ted Lemon wrote:

# This is drifting way off the tech-kern topic, so one well-placed flame
# will shut me up, *but*...  The 11/780 may have taken up a tenth the
# wall space, but it also did a tenth as much...  Less than that.  IIRC,
# the DECsystem 20 was a 5 mips machine.

...back when MIPS meant something.

DECsystem 20 -- that ran Twenex, right?

# The one at WPI was easily
# capable of handling 50 users doing compiles and running emacs, as long
# as one of us (me) wasn't rebuilding the C compiler.  A VAX 11/780
# couldn't possibly take that load.
# Bringing things back to the present, NetBSD now has many of the things
# that TOPS-20 had that VMS didn't - e.g., a PMAP JSYS^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
# mmap syscall.   It also does some things right that TOPS-20 didn't
# (e.g., -lreadline instead of a COMND JSYS).   Of course, -lreadline is
# still missing some of the niftier features of the COMND JSYS...
# Sigh.

Ah, memories.  I'm still a newbie compared to some...started on a VAX
11/750 ("Four washers and a fridge!") in 1984 (running 4.1 BSD UNIX).
Someone had then made a comment that it was a take off on Multics, had
advanced to UNIX, and suggested that it be rewritten to take advantage of
even more modern features and be renamed MULTIX, to come,

Well, I dare say we're just about here -- any takers?

NetBSD: Microsoft asks you where you wan to go, NetBSD gets you there.