Subject: Re: SIOCSIFADDR & co
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/27/2000 17:43:06
On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 08:38:48AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > When I had access to the VAX room (mind you, not VAX SERVER room, in those
> > > days they had one big fax and a couple dozen terminals) of the Univ. Bonn
> > > Physics Dept., some big 36bit DEC was still round. Use up about 10 times
> > > wall space from what the 11/780 needed.
> >
> > This is drifting way off the tech-kern topic, so one well-placed flame
> > will shut me up, *but*...  The 11/780 may have taken up a tenth the
> > wall space, but it also did a tenth as much...  Less than that.  IIRC,
> > the DECsystem 20 was a 5 mips machine.  The one at WPI was easily
> > capable of handling 50 users doing compiles and running emacs, as long
> > as one of us (me) wasn't rebuilding the C compiler.  A VAX 11/780
> > couldn't possibly take that load.
>
> Hell, a PDP-11/70 could handle 64 users (I saw this at Tektronix) while a Vax
> 11/780 went to it's knees 3/4 of that.

The big problem was stupid tyt devices that didn't do multibyte transfers
per interupt.

If you used DE???s or multichar interupt tty lines, it was much better.

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of