Subject: Network driver detach
To: None <>
From: Lennart Augustsson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/27/2000 01:25:22
Unless someone protests I'm going to change some network drivers to do
something, IMHO, more sane in their detach routines.
Basically, they will call
and if they have PHYs

If any of these calls fail the detach will fail.  This way we only need
to implement these few routines to make network drivers detach properly.
ether_ifdetach() and mii_phy_detach() are easy to implement.
(And if_detach() can be fudged with some memory leakage until
implemented properly.)

Note, I'm not proposing to commit proper implementations of these three
detach routines, I just want all drivers to do the right thing on

        -- Lennart