Subject: Re: SIOCSIFADDR & co
To: None <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/2000 16:31:00
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz wrote:

> On 27 Jan, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> >  Why don't we do what FreeBSD and OpenBSD have done
> > and break out that code into a subroutine that can be called?
>
> I had noticed the same thing, but my idea was to have the common code
> handled higher up (instead of being pushed further down into a
> subroutine). Since I don't know how the ioctls get passed around inside
> the kernel, and I had other things to do, I very specificly did not look
> at whether or not the code was amenable to this.

One reason to not do it higher up is: SIOCSIFADDR. :-)

A problem I ran into is that atalkd, the netatalk routing daemon, will try
to fire up appletalk on all interfaces if there's no config file.

Guess what happens when it tries to add an atalk address on the eon
interface, which is an ISO-over-IP tunnel. :-)

Take care,

Bill