Subject: Re: smartmedia adaptors
To: Lennart Augustsson <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2000 17:25:54
Lennart Augustsson <> writes:
> What I'd like to know is what the h**l wdcprobe is up to?  It's using delay()
> for up to 49s?!?  Any calls to delay() with an argument bigger than, say, 100
> should be banned.  (Unless you KNOW this is cold boot.)

until relatively recently, it was safe for the probe code to assume
that it was a cold boot.  further, until even more recently, there
wasn't any sane _alternative_ (threads).

really, during configuration, you want delays like these to happen in
parallel with other configuration.  For things like wdc at ISA (and for
the backward-compat pciide addresses) you have to do it synchronously,
but once you know that the controller's there you could do the
slow-to-configure devices with short-lived threads, and then wait for
everything to be finished before you configure root...

Chris Demetriou - -