Subject: Re: clock problem ...
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2000 18:24:54
In message <87iu0hvjfu.fsf@vaio505.enami.but-b.or.jp>, enami tsugutomo writes:
> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com> writes:
>
> > At least in my kernel (1.4P, the Comdex snapshot), I believe you can do the
>
> > same with sysctl:
> >
> > 	sysctl -w kern.rtc_offset=xxx
>
> You can read but can't write.  Since the value is used early boot
> stage, setting it after boot is not so useful.

Oh.  I confess -- if I'd written the code, it would apply rfc_offset on all
references to the software copy of the clock, rather than just being applied
when the hardware value is copied over at boot time.  That makes it much more
useful when coping with the drain-bamaged Other System many people have to use
on occasion.  It would let you have one kernel, rather than two, and it would
permit some smart user-level code in rc to decide what the offset was, given
daylight time, etc.  (I realize that that can't do a perfect job, especially
if one reboots around 2am on the two days a year when it matters, and I fully
agree that Windows handles that (among many other things) in a fundamentally
wrong fashion.  But there's not much I can do about that, and two of the three
NetBSD machines in my house run Windoze most of the time.)

		--Steve Bellovin