Subject: Re: Mount permissions
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2000 18:35:07
> 	How about an extra option that could be added to entries in
> 	fstab that would specify a group that had permission to perform
> 	that mount command. You could then set whatever appropriate
> 	additional options on that line.

I don't know if folks are aware that normal users can already be given
permission to mount / unmount filesystems via AMD.

I have the /l setup so that cd-ing (or otherwise referencing) /l/cdrom
will mount whatever is in the cdrom.  Similarly /l/pcfs will mount a
dosfs floppy.  The cautious sysadmin will naturely want to turn off
the most glaring security holes via "nosuid,nodev".

    # $Id: amd-local,v 1.1 1998/11/28 19:53:19 wolfgang Exp $
    # local files like cdrom and pcfs

    /defaults	fs:=${autodir}/${key};opts:=nosuid,nodev;

                    dev:=/dev/fd0;type:=pcfs; || \

                    dev:=/dev/sr0;type:=cdfs;opts:=nosuid,ro; || \

                    dev:=/dev/fd0;type:=ufs;opts:=nosuid; || \

    # end

To unmount an filesystem a normal user can type "amq -u /l/cdrom" or
"amq -u /l/pcfs".

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
DGPS signals via the Internet