Subject: Mount permissions
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2000 23:07:32
Mount(2) is currently restricted to root or the owner of the mount
point.  I think it would be helpful if it were root or anyone with
write and search access to the mount point.

This would allow one to have a group of users authorised to mount
things in a standard location. Floppy disks, cdroms, and other removable
media are obvious candidates. This seems to be the linux does it.

Of course, this could be done in userland with suid wrapper, but I
can't think of any real reason why this shouldn't be a kernel change.
After all, if you have given someone write and search access to a
directory they can pretty much do what they like to the contents of the
directory, including mounting the device elsewhere and making a bunch of
symbolic links from the place they would have liked to mount it to where
they really did mount it.

So this doesn't really allow anything which could not have been faked
up before, but it does make things more convenient. Assuming I haven't
missed anything, of course!

Ian