Subject: Re: 8-space indents considered harmful
To: None <>
From: Geoff Wing <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2000 01:35:41
Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com> typed:
:I don't think there was a resolution to my proposal to change KNF from
:8-space indents to 2-4 space indents.  The Shneiderman article found 2 space
:indents to be optimal, for reasons I have reported previously.
:As I see it, what we have here is academic research that tells us that 2-4
:space indents are superior to 8-space indents.
:And as I see it, we have two choices:
:1) Adopt 2-4 space indents;
:2) Ignore the research, damn the torpedos, if it was good enough for my
:   grandaddy, then it's good enough for me! approach.

"2)" looks good.  Use tabs.  Use a terminal which can set tabs anywhere you
want.  Set tabs appropriately in the terminal.  What's the problem?
(There is, of course, ``expand'' and ``unexpand'' though you need to be
aware of side effects).

Geoff Wing : <>     Work URL:
Rxvt Stuff : <>      Ego URL :
Zsh Stuff  : <>       Phone   : (Australia) 0413 431 874