Subject: Re: 8-space indents considered harmful
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/23/2000 16:27:52
As has been pointed out many times, the research you quoted set out with
one goal - to prove that 2-4 space indents were "better" than 8 space
indents.  No, they didn't set out to find what was best, they set out to
substantiate their pre-set conclusion that 2-4 was better.

As for my background, I've been in the CS world since before most of the
folks on the list went through puberty.  I've worked in various
capacities, including 15+ years at DEC developing custom software for
customers.  I've programmed in nearly as many computer languages as the
number of languages spoken by the current Pope, everything from BASIC to
RPG-II, Algol to Snobol, and assembler on nearly as many platforms as
supported by NetBSD.

I'm definitely not voting to undermine the NetBSD codebase.  On the
contrary, I'm voting to keep it at its current extremely high level of
readability and utility.