Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/19/2000 13:03:54
>> That said, I prefer to get as much out of the 80 columns as possible,
>> and use the frowned-upon 2 space indenting :)  Not to indent more
>> levels...
>
>Eventually, I hope we can dispense with 80 characters (like the Windows
>world has already done) but for all the reasons mentioned here, I'm not
>advocating changing that.

the windows world still uses 80 columns for any sort of terminal
application.

the windows world hasn't done away with 80 character windows, it's
simply obviated the need for it by using a proportionally spaced font
for all the silly things it does.  word is a wysiwyg editor.
netscape/ie is a web browser.  excel is a spreadsheet.  access is a
pain in the ass.  but i digress.

you wouldn't lok at code very much in any of these.  well...perhaps
the web browser, but you certainly wouldn't be editing it in *any* of
these applications.

for a plain text editor, you probably want to use a fixed spaced font,
and stick to 80 columns.  like windows still does.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|