Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: <>
From: Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/19/2000 00:01:57
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> > Personally, i tend to do something slightly different for sub-indents
>   IMHO, having sub-indents hang over at exactly half level indent makes
> them look like a messy in-between level instead of a continuation of the
> previous line.  I much prefer 8/2 or 4/1.
>
> > (just strictly having 8/4 is often not enough for me), but as a
> > standard it's not as bad, in my opinon, as just about anything i've
> > seen with smaller indent levels.  (also, my code editor of choice
> > makes using tabs The Right Thing for me.  8-)
>
>   I still haven't decided which I prefer, though I'm leaning towards
> somewhat shorter indents (though I would certainly prefer eight over two).
> On one hand, the limited space available does force you to make your code
> more vertical (which generally indicates better C programming, though not
> so in many other languages).  On the other hand, it doesn't take that many
> levels at eight spaces to be totally incomprehensible (five if you have
> reasonably descriptive identifiers).

At work our cheif Architech orders us to go with 3 space indents.  (a real
pain since out tools are non-standard so we have to space them out
manually instead of hitting tab or something else to format)

This is the real issue: if the cheif architech orders you to do it one
way, that is what you do, no matter what the study say.  Get used to it,
or become the cheif architech and force everyone else to use your own
style.

--
      http://www.black-hole.com/users/henrymiller/
      hank@black-hole.com