Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2000 14:16:17
In message <200001181651.LAA09238@grosse.manhattan.fugue.com> Ted Lemon writes:
: Hungarian notation does add needless clutter to variable names

The big flaw with Hungarian notation is that it encodes type
information into the variable that is painful to change later if one
should change an int ot a long.

Also, I've seen studies that show that "short and fat" tends to
produce more understabible code than "tall and thin".  But short and
fat requires better hardware than 80 columns vt100s.  When taking into
account coding styles, one must remember that the code in NetBSD will
be viewed on everything from an adm3a to a 1600x1200 pixel display
where one can view 200 columns easily.

Personally, I think it would be best to leave well enough alone.  If
you want gnu format, then use gnu format.  Don't call it knf.  It is
bletcherous to someone used to knf, just like knf is bletcherous to
someone used to gnu format.

Wrner