Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2000 02:55:37
On 17 Jan 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Personally, i tend to do something slightly different for sub-indents

  IMHO, having sub-indents hang over at exactly half level indent makes
them look like a messy in-between level instead of a continuation of the
previous line.  I much prefer 8/2 or 4/1.

> (just strictly having 8/4 is often not enough for me), but as a
> standard it's not as bad, in my opinon, as just about anything i've
> seen with smaller indent levels.  (also, my code editor of choice
> makes using tabs The Right Thing for me.  8-)

  I still haven't decided which I prefer, though I'm leaning towards
somewhat shorter indents (though I would certainly prefer eight over two).
On one hand, the limited space available does force you to make your code
more vertical (which generally indicates better C programming, though not
so in many other languages).  On the other hand, it doesn't take that many
levels at eight spaces to be totally incomprehensible (five if you have
reasonably descriptive identifiers).

  Maybe 6/2 :).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net