Subject: Re: ARGSUSED and friends
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2000 16:37:34
According to der Mouse:
>It sounds as though you're trying to say "yes, it's
>good to make code pass lint",

OK - it's good to make code pass lint.  Lint has pulled out lurking
bugs that gcc did not flag with -Wall, though that may be more a
problem with -Wall than anything else.

>but I've never gone to the trouble to eliminate
>every last gripe, because some are just too silly (such as the dreadful
>"pointer casts can be troublesome" - franchement, if you can't even
>cast pointers without upsetting lint, it's hard to write anything

I thought it threw those out when you cast a pointer to an int.  It is
a valid complaint to make considering that (sizeof(int) == sizeof(void*))
does not evaluate to true on all architectures ;-)

>I'm not sure whether data declarations and/or externs count towards
>making a translation unit non-empty; I've never had occasion to care
>enough to figure it out.

Hmmm thanks for that I shall investigate.