Subject: Re: Retiring 'ss*' and PINT in favour of SANE
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2000 11:17:40
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Brett Lymn wrote:

> IMHO the twain concept is such a PITA that nobody wants to touch it
> anymore ;-)

	I concur - I would like to nuke it from orbit but apparently
	certain scsi drivers on ports such as amiga have issues with
	the direct scsi used by SANE. At this point I'd probably regard
	PINT as a workaround until they have a fix, but it means we
	can't kill it (yet :)

> >	Shouldn't this be minor 1 (MODE_NONREWIND) - currently the code
> >	permits ioctl() on minor 3 (MODE_CONTROL) only, but prohibits I/O.
> >

> You don't need I/O to use SANE, all the stuff is done by ioctl's -
> this fact only dawned on me when I was doing the spelunking to hook my
> "updated" driver into the kernel.  Only then did I have a close look
> at what the uk driver did - I found that uk only defines open, close
> and ioctl, there is no read or write.  At that point I went back and
> looked at why ss.c did not work and it dawned on me that the chunk of
> code I pointed out before was the only reason.

	Uhuh, but if ou make that change then you do not need to make
	minor 3 on disk - the other minors now allow ioctl()?

		David/absolute