Subject: Re: Retiring 'ss*' and PINT in favour of SANE
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2000 12:08:21
According to David Brownlee:

>	If someone is going to volunteer to extend and maintain the
>	ss* driver, then we should consider it, otherwise we need to
>	find a different solution.

IMHO the twain concept is such a PITA that nobody wants to touch it
anymore ;-)

>	Shouldn't this be minor 1 (MODE_NONREWIND) - currently the code
>	permits ioctl() on minor 3 (MODE_CONTROL) only, but prohibits I/O.

You don't need I/O to use SANE, all the stuff is done by ioctl's -
this fact only dawned on me when I was doing the spelunking to hook my
"updated" driver into the kernel.  Only then did I have a close look
at what the uk driver did - I found that uk only defines open, close
and ioctl, there is no read or write.  At that point I went back and
looked at why ss.c did not work and it dawned on me that the chunk of
code I pointed out before was the only reason.

>	Can anyone else who has had a problem with the ss* driver try
>	this?

I will see if I can scare up a scanner to test but don't hold your
breath.

> Otherwise I think we should comment it out until someone
>	does - that breaks fewer people than the current situation.

I agree but I would like it tested ;-)