Subject: Re: PHY problems
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/2000 12:49:43
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> I'm trying to get my Linksys USB-Ethernet adapter to work. It has a
> Broadcom BCM5201 PHY which is misbehaving. After resetting the PHY
> most of the bits in the device registers make sense, expect that the
> PHY claims there is link even when nothing is connected to the
> adapter.  Furthermore, my hub does not detect any link when the device
> is plugged in, so something is wrong.  Does anyone have any experience
> whith this PHY? Or just suggestions on what to try.  The PHY is driven
> by the ukphy driver right now.  I've asked for data sheets from
> Broadcom, but nothing has appeared yet.

Bill Paul just checked in the changes to support this adapter and in
specific the Broadcom PHY.  He mentioned something about needing to frob a
few bits to get the PHY in the right mode.  Check his code for more info
or email him.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |