Subject: loadable PCI drivers
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@research.solidum.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2000 17:29:52
  To ease in development, I'd like to be able to build an LKM for
a PCI device driver. The LKM pieces are not a problem, the question is:
	- how do I get my match/attach routines called?

  It seems that my init routine should get my cfdata entry added to
an appropriate parent (pci* in my case), and then invoke the appropriate
autoconf function to rescan the bus. Presumeably, this later bit is similar
to how cardbus and pcmcia must do. I see some useful code in
sys/dev/pcmcia/pcmcia.c that explains how I might do the latter, but how
do I get myself into the autoconf chain?

  An unrelated PCI question: is there some standard way to determine the
pci-attach-args of the bridge which my device is behind? Alas, I need access
to the GPIO pins on it to download firmware.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca	mailto:mcr@solidum.com