Subject: Re: On-disk time_t
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/1999 13:38:08

> On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 08:14:15AM -0800, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:
> >

> > I think we should create a new type `dtime_t' for use in on-disk
> > filesystem structures so we can migrate time_t to a 64-bit type
> > eventually without impacting filesystem formats.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> How would this help? Yes, we could manipulate life-system times, but couldn't
> unambigously touch files in the file system...

Once you have separated the on-disk structure from the kernel's
representation you could either version the structures and create a
new one with 64-bit `time_t's, or grab another unused (and currently
all zero) field to store the high 32 bits.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@netbsd.org
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me