Subject: Re: marching unit numbers
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/1999 14:16:01
On 29 Dec 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> I've just made the relatively simple modifications i promised.  Now
> when a cloning device is attached, it'll get the lowest unit number
> available for cloning devices.  i.e. if yhou have com3 and com4 as
> above, and remove the com3 card and reinsert it, it'll show up again
> as com3.

Actually, what would be more cool is if, for those devices that
have some sort of unique data that we can look at, we `hold' the
old cloned number for that device.

E.g., I have two ethernet cards, foo3 and foo4. When I yank them
out and insert them in reverse order, they still get their original
device numbers back (because the driver recognises the MAC addresses).
When I yank one out and insert a brand new one, it gets foo5.

I don't know if this is really worth the effort, however.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org