Subject: Re: Cardbus
To: Ken Hornstein <>
From: None <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/1999 10:40:26
>>	Although I do not believe there's sole "ultimate" solution for pcmcia
>>	device model, I still believe BSDI's approach is good.
>Can some people elaborate on this more?  I've heard a lot about it, but
>I haven't had access to a BSDI box in literally years, so I'm not
>sure exactly _what_ they do!

	They have evaluation license starting sometime 1999, so you can
	actually play with it before purchase decision.

	Also in emails starting from this thread (Subject: A TODO list for
	cardbus/ PCMCIA support.)
	I posted several messages on it like:

>Certainly we do interface creation with pcmcia today, and it's not too
>problematic.  What exactly breaks when an interface gets deleted?  I guess
>this is hard to predict since we don't delete interfaces now, but give
>us some ideas.

	daemons like dhcpc (not sure about how isc-dhcpc behaves), routing
	daemons, or getty (yes we run getty on pcmcia modem cards, or pcmcia
	rs232c cards) will be in trouble.
	Also, in current netbsd/freebsd model ethernet drivers change its MAC
	address on pcmcia card swap - this looks tricky for IPv6 stacks to