Subject: Re: Cardbus
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/27/1999 08:56:29
On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Ken Hornstein wrote:
>
> > >I think it's also worth looking at what BSDI did; I don't think it's
> > >completely correct but it had certain useful behaivors..  for
> > >instance, popping a card and reinserting it doesn't require you to
> > >re-ifconfig the interface.
> >
> > Hmmmm .... is this a useful semantic to preserve?  I could see it
> > getting rather complicated trying to do this in practice.
>
> It don't care one bit about for that semantics.  It would just be a special
> case.  I would assume that any card (or whatever) you plug in will have
> to be ifconfiged.  Since it must happen for some of them, I'd rather have it
> happen for all of them.

What about running a userland script, a la linux (and perhaps
others)?  Most cards require some sort of configuration, be it
ifconfig'ing or whatnot.  Calling a userland script might be a nice way to
handle such things "automatically" - maybe just two scripts, one for an
insert, and one for a remove, which receive the device's /dev entry as an
argument.  This probably ain't sufficient for some things, but could it be
improved upon, etc???

Just my $0.02

-Jon Lindgren
 "Xyzzy!  You're a duck!"