Subject: Absolute location pointing device
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: TAKEMURA, Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/27/1999 13:38:06
I'm working on a touch panel device driver, which is built in VR41xx CPU.
I'd like to make it work as the wsmouse device. But it seems that the
wsmouse does not support a device which handles absolute corrdinates.

Is there any other touch panel or tablet device support on the NetBSD?

If no one is working about it, I propose that:

1. Add an argument to wsmouse_input(). The new argument is flag, which
   indicate whether the cordinates are absulute or relative. If the
   coordinates are absolute, the wsmouse_input produce an
   WSCONS_EVENT_MOUSE_ABSOLUTE_X event instead of ..._DELTA_X.
   (WSCONS_EVENT_MOUSE_ABSOLUTE_X is alredy defined in wsconsio.h.)

2. Define new mouse type WSMOUSE_TYPE_VRPIU or WSMOUSE_TYPE_TPANEL
   (The former means VR41xx built-in touch panel controller, and the
    latter means a general touch panel. Which is better?)

3. Introduce a new I/O controll command WSMOUSEIO_SPARAMS, with which we
   can put sample coordinates retrieved with calibration.
   WSMOUSEIO_GPARAMS is also needed.

Please comment.

Takemura