Subject: in-kernel update(8) and fsck root partition
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/1999 09:56:50
	Maybe very dumb question (I'm not a filesystem guy)...

	Now update(8) is included in the kernel, and turned on by default.
	I would like to know how does it interact with fsck on root partition.
	When we do fsck on root partition to recover from fatal filesystem
	crash, we do:
	- make sure in single user mode, no update(8) running
	- run fsck on root partition
	- NEVER type sync, immediately type halt
	to avoid buffer cache writeback (if the above process itself is
	incorrect, kick me).  What happens when we always have update(8)
	in kernel?  What is the suggested process for fsck'ing root partition?

itojun