Subject: Re: IDE / ATAPI attachment without soft reset
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/1999 16:27:46
According to Matthew Jacob:

>Very, very likely.  I thought the whole point of NetBSD was to run on
>anything....

Yes that is my thinking as well.  I know that I was rather annoyed
when the ESDI support broke before.  I also know that there are some
desirable things available by using the alt status register so the
move is technically sound but I think we need to be careful we don't
strand people with old hardware with no way out.  Some 486 boards have
PCI slots so there is some chance that people will want a later kernel
to get some driver but be wedged because their HD does not work.  It
is a feasible scenario...