Subject: Re: IDE / ATAPI attachment without soft reset
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/1999 16:04:18
According to Michael Graff:

>Didn't st506 and ESDI start to die around the time the 386 was coming
>out?

ST506 maybe but ESDI was around for a bit longer than that - IIRC ESDI
made it up to 1G full-height 5.25" before dying completely.  I had a
330Mb half height ESDI for a long time - long enough that I got bitten
by someone deciding to use the alt status register in wdc effectively
breaking my system.  This was some years back though.

>Personally, I say drop support for st506/esdi.  If someone wants to
>run NetBSD on such an old beast, let them stick to the last release
>that supported that hardware.

Is there any way we can #ifdef the code without making it too gross?

>I honestly doubt there are many living, breathing, in-use machines
>with st506 as the interface.

Cannot argue with that :-)  ESDI may be still alive out there
somewhere though.