Subject: Re: IDE / ATAPI attachment without soft reset
To: Brett Lymn <>
From: Michael Graff <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/1999 20:15:10 (Brett Lymn) writes:

> If you want/expect to support ESDI/ST506 drives then you cannot use
> the alternate status register because they just don't have it.  Of
> course these days I don't know if many people are interested in those
> drives considering the size/capacity of the things but I bet there are
> some out there....

Didn't st506 and ESDI start to die around the time the 386 was coming

Personally, I say drop support for st506/esdi.  If someone wants to
run NetBSD on such an old beast, let them stick to the last release
that supported that hardware.

I honestly doubt there are many living, breathing, in-use machines
with st506 as the interface.