Subject: Re: uvm & flushing
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/14/1999 17:11:32
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:56:38 -0800
>  Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> wrote:
>
>  > yes, you can go count the dirty pages anytime you want to know,
>  > but you can't maintain a count over time.
>  >
>  > at any rate, it's not worth messing around too much with this
>  > since it'll all change in a couple months anyway.  it'll be much
>  > nicer then.
>
> True, but Bill has to make it work *now* in an older version of NetBSD,
> because he has software to ship :-)

This is not necessarily a given. Nothing is cast in concrete that MSS3a
*has* to be wired to the 1.4.X stream. We do tend to say this internally
in the storage-devel group, if only to limit the usual wankage of:

	1. problem?
	2. update to -current first!
	3. (two weeks of merging). Goto #1.

If there's a showstopper technical reason that is impractical to get
around, resync'ing with 1.5 may be better. And this complete spasm
occurred a year ago wrt 1.3 as well.

-matt