Subject: Re: upcalls?
To: None <>
From: Noriyuki Soda <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/1999 02:55:35
>> Until Solaris 2.5, Solaris's thread implementation works as you
>> described.
>> But since Solaris 2.6, the implementation is changed from the above
>> way to scheduler activations, because scheduler activations is better
>> about performance than above way.

> I do not believe that is correct.
> I don't believe there were any major changes to the thread library
> design since 2.0, so any differences between 2.5 and 2.6 should be
> mostly cosmetic.

Please look at the following document:
"Sun Solaris Operating Environment Version 2.6, A White Paper"

This page says that:

	This section describes new features to help developers dealing
	with large files (over 2 Gbytes), multithreaded applications,
	and X servers and libraries. Large file semantics are
	supported on UFS, NFS, and CacheFS file systems.
	Scheduler Activation - Scheduler activations provide
	additional kernel-scheduling support for multithreaded

Don't you believe Sun's white paper about Solaris 2.6?