Subject: Re: upcalls?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/1999 22:40:18
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:44:11 +0100  Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Yes. Think "networking server", for example. Something like a NNTP or HTTP
> server can be coded more efficient than with fork()s, and more elegant than
> single-threaded+poll()/select()+lots of legwork in the code.

... and not everyone agrees about it being "more elegant".  Definitely
more popular and trendy.  The select() and non-blocking I/O model is
so 20th Century. :-)

The downside of using threads is that the legwork to make the code all
thread safe can be quite substantial, and debugging is considerably
more difficult.

Regards,

Giles